The New Zealand education system is amongst the best in the world

Studying in New Zealand for one year at Level 7, 8 or 9 and for two years at level 4, 5 or 6 also allows you to apply for temporary work visas once your studies are completed. During your studies you also have a right to work part time (or even fulltime, if you are studying for a doctorate). If you want to know more about this, please book a consultancy session with our educational agent partner company Seven Seas Cultural Exchange for more information.

Obtaining New Zealand qualifications also helps you to claim additional points, should you be interested in living in New Zealand permanently.

AFTER YOUR STUDY: Post-Study Work Visas

First, you need to apply for a post-study work visa and have it approved. The post-study work pathway has two steps:

Post-Study Work Visa Open

This visa gives you currently between 12 and 36 months (as long as you finish your studies by end of 2021) of open work visa, depending on whether your studies are outside of Auckland and which level of study you have completed. While you are looking for a job in your field you are allowed to work in any job to support yourself. You are not bound to one employer only.

To be eligible you must:

  • Have successfully completed a qualification in NZ that meets the study to work qualification requirements.
  • Apply no later than 3 months after the end date of the student visa for that qualification.
  • Provide evidence of a minimum of NZ$4,200 available to maintain yourself during your 12 month stay
Finally: Residence Visa

After your Post-study work visa or Work visa you may well find you have sufficient points to apply for a New Zealand resident visa under the Skilled Migrant Category. If your job is in an occupation that has skill shortages, then this greatly improves your chances. each required at least one academic year study in NZ, provided the second qualification is at a higher level ( 2 years study in NZ in total).

If it is your plan from the outset to apply for a residence visa then you need to think very carefully about the type of qualifications you want to obtain and the type of work experience you get. When it comes to applying for residence you may need to show work experience that is directly relevant to your qualifications. So, for example, if you have a Diploma in Business Management you may need to show a working history in leadership roles rather than, say, general labouring in a kiwi fruit pack house.

Whatever visa you apply for, you’ll need to meet health and character requirements.